October 4, 2013

The Birth of my Second Child

I am happy to announce that our second daughter has arrived! I am currently almost two weeks postpartum and finally able to sit down and write about her. 

Indiana Scarlett arrived by scheduled C-section on September 23rd at 2:30 p.m. weighing 7 lbs 1 oz and measuring 19 1/2 inches long. I know every mother thinks their child is adorable, but Indie is seriously the cutest newborn I have ever seen! We are head over heels for her. 

I didn't get to take any quality photos of Indie in the hospital because I was in too much pain to even think about picking up my camera, but I do have a couple of cell phone shots from those first few days. 






Gorgeous, right?

The Drs said my surgery went well, but this c-section was so much harder for me than my first. Their idea of pain management was quite different from my last c-section and didn't give me nearly enough drugs to keep me comfortable. So that was kind of a bummer, but the pain has gotten better now so I'm happy about that. They said I hardly lost any blood which is great because I was really worried about that with my anemia. 

The next day we had Austin's mom bring Heidi to the hospital to meet her baby sister. Heidi didn't know why she was going to the hospital, only that we had a surprise for her. When she got to our room the first thing she noticed was that her grandma Gigi was there. She excitedly assumed this was her surprise and ran across the room to give her a hug. When she turned around she noticed I was holding something. "Is that baby Indie?" she asked excitedly. When I told her yes, the first words out of her mouth were "She is sooo pretty! She is sooo cute!" and then she asked if she could sing Indie a lullaby. After that she lost interest and started asking to play with the Iphones of every single person in the hospital room. 

Even though I was in alot of pain we were in a hurry to get out of the hospital, so we asked if we could leave after the mandatory 2 day stay and our wish was granted and home we went! 

I'm not gonna lie, the weeks following my c-section births have been some of the hardest of my life, but it is so worth it. I don't know why they say that we are the weaker sex because it definitely does not seem that way after all that we endure during childbirth and the weeks thereafter. This phase of parenthood is brutal! But it is also so sweet. Indiana is such a cuddler. She does not like to be far from me! Somehow she can tell even if I am more than a few feet away from her. I try putting her in a bassinet next to my bed and she wont have it! She wants to be either right next to me or on top of me. Now that I know how fast this phase goes I'm finding it much harder to put her down and let her have some space. This girl is practically glued to me! I kind of love it, but also a little worried about creating habits that will be hard to reverse later on. I never thought I could ever co-sleep but I have to admit she has been sleeping in our bed. What am I doing?! Losing my mind over here! Now if you'll excuse me I have a newborn to cuddle with :-)

2 comments:

Mademoiselle Michael Blog said...

Welcome, sweet little Indiana!! She is so beautiful...how can someone be so photogenic after only being a few hours old?! So happy for you guys. :) You are one strong lady, I can't even imagine how painful that surgery must be...yikes. But way to go girlfriend! You rock. Enjoy every moment with your new family of four! woohoo! xoxo

La Maman Heureuse said...

Congrats on your beautiful baby Indiana! She's gorgeous! Hope you're doing ok!