December 14, 2011

Golden Years

My daughter is two years old today.

It feels so weird to say that.

I feel like so much of my life has been spent fantasizing about future realities and what they would entail. Dreaming about how wonderful it will be to be married to the man of my dreams, how fun it will be to decorate our home, how satisfying it will be when I open the refrigerator and find all of my favorite foods that my mother would never buy, how hot my husband will look as he carries our babies in infant car seats.

And here I sit, thinking that I should really write about what Heidi is like at two so that I can remember this time in the years to come. So that it wont be forgotten.

These are the glory days. The days I dreamed about. They are here. And I love them. And I am sad that they are not only here, not only coming, but also leaving. Becoming a part of history.

In this life you are only young once. Only for a few years. And soon are you are headed towards infertility, a foggy mind, and a body that becomes more frail with each passing year. And then you are not here at all. And then your children are not here at all. This is the reality of the plight of all of us for as long as God allows this cycle to continue.

How I look forward to the day when God puts an end to it. When Revelation 21:3,4 is fulfilled.

"With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

When Psalms 37:10,11 comes true.

"And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more; And you will certainly give attention to his place, and he will not be. But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."

I cannot wait until all of our years can be golden, instead of just a few.





Pictured above - My mother, father, and me. 

3 comments:

The Lewicutt's said...

I love everything about this post. We truly are on the same page! And I've missed your posts!

MellyB said...

This is a beautiful and poignant post T. It's the second time I've come back to read it just because I wanted to tear up.

And post more. And tell me why you're pinning twin nurseries. And tell me where I can get a giraffe floaty because I need one.

Lisa @ Tales of a Young Housewife said...

Such a beautiful post! You almost got me teary eyed!